Sunday, September 14, 2008

Straight to the Pool Room

This week the yard was awfully busy, the owner of the boat visited on Thursday and Friday to check out the progress and for meetings to discuss the construction and details of his new boat. I managed to find some photos online of his current boat which he is upgrading from.

Last night (Saturday) I went to the sailing clubs prize giving ceremony. It was a bit different to other’s that I’ve been too. I arrived about ten minutes late and they were already underway with the formal proceedings and soon started giving out the trophies. It took about an hour and a half to hand them all out. It seems that because their season is so short, they make the most of it by giving out prizes for every race that is held. The food didn’t come out until after all of the prizes were given out. As usually happens there are a couple of people who do very well and take home a number of the trophies. However what I didn’t expect was that I would be taking some home myself. Because we did so well in all of the races I sailed in, I got four trophies, strangely enough the biggest is for coming second, the others are first’s.

Once the food had come out and the atmosphere started to relax a little, the drinking songs started to be sung and the drink to go with it was plentiful. There were song books on all the tables, mostly the songs were in Swedish or Finnish, but there was one in German and even one in English. It started off with one table ordering rounds of schnapps and singing before they drank, but soon it was anyone who felt like singing. When they kicked us out a couple of us went into town, It gets a little blured as to what I was talking about all night and who I was talking too, but I had a good time and got home at some unmentionable time. Coincidently I have not done much today, I went into town and sat in a café with, had a coffee and watched the second half of the Grand Prix with no sound.

No comments: