Wednesday, April 29, 2009

First In

Riding my bike home from work this evening I was reminded again how quickly this place changes. I past the sailing club on my way to see how much ice was left in the harbour. I found when I arrived that the first boat of the season was in the water. I’ve seen a few little runabouts in the water over the last week, and I heard that two Swan’s were launched last week and have been out on sea trials already. However this was the first real boat I had seen back in the water.

Last week I stopped here on the way home at the same time. I walked to the end of the pontoon and jumped up and down. Although I could hear the Ice moving it still felt very solid. I was even able to stand on it still (not that I walked about – just put my weight on it). The surface was covered with about three of four inches of slosh, but it was still solid. Whereas today there was nothing left. Even all the way to the end of the harbour, the only ice left was around some of the shoreline that is sheltered from the sun.


Today the sunrise was at 0510, and the sun set at 2140 (well, just now), but there is reasonable light for about an hour and a half either side still. It makes for a much happier place; I wish I had a boat here. Well I better get packing, off to Vienna tomorrow morning at stupid o’clock.

2 comments:

n4rkla said...

You could get the yard to whip you something moth-like up in their spare time...I'm sure there's heaps of scrap carbon lying around. Just get sails and foils sent over from UK!

Alan said...

I've gone over a number of different senarios to have a boat here. And as much as I want one, I'm trying to use the opertunity to do other things.