Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Better Odds

Well that last post was a bit long, I will put up some photos to go with it once I have sorted through them, or at least looked at them.

The odds of me getting back to Kokkola/Pietarsaari airport are increasing. Until tonight it was 50/50 as to weather I would actually be able to fly back into the local airport. But tonight everything went as it was supposed to and I now consider myself to have a 3 in 5 chance of landing here.

To further increase my confidence in the airline, I think the landing was the softest I have ever had. The visibility was low on the ground as the air was very damp, we lost altitude quite quickly and then levelled out 3 times on the approach, looking out the window after the third one, where I’d seen only darkness a moment earlier there was now runway lights buzzing past about 3 meters under the wing, we flew down the runway for a few seconds then eventually touched down so lightly that if I had not been looking outside and waiting for it I probably wouldn’t have realised we were on the ground.

To top that off my bag even made it and I was home by 0130. From the little I saw on the drive home most of the snow has melted, there are still the remnants of large piles but they stand barely half a meter off the ground. From the dim light of the headlights it also looked as though the grass may be starting to change back to green from the pail brown it was when initially uncovered.

No comments: