Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wine, Beer and Snow

I’ve just had quite a nice weekend. On Friday evening I went to a friends house for a wine tasting. There were four bottles of red wine, and we each got given a list of the wines and their characteristics. Colour, smell and taste were described in detail in Swedish, which made it a little harder for me. So we got a taste of each wine and had to guess which was which based on the descriptions. I got two out of the four right. Out of the six of us I believe that 4 got them all correct. After the wines were revealed we ate cheese (and drank more of the wine).

We also scored each wine so that we could see which one we liked best. According to my scores my favourite from the bunch was a 2005 Palandri Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from Western Australia. This surprised me a bit, as I had thought it was one of the other wines (which I hadn’t liked). I was a bit doubtful of this scoring because I always find that the more wine I drink, the more I like it. So it didn’t surprise me that my favourite was also the last wine we tried.

On Saturday after getting up late, then going running followed by a nice lunch. I made dinner early before going to a house warming party a few doors down. The party kicked off at 1800 which I thought was a bit early. I’d picked up some beers in the afternoon and they hadn’t had long to cool in the fridge, so I was glad to find that at the party they had plenty of space. Although the fridge was full, the drinks just went outside on the balcony. This worked an absolute treat and did a better job of cooling the beers than the fridge would have anyway.

It had started snowing about 1700 yesterday and it didn’t seem to stop for some time. When we left the party to go into town we played in the snow for a while as we waited for the taxi. Just as we got in the taxi I realised that my glasses were no longer stuck to my face. Not to keep the taxi waiting I made sure I’d remember to look for them later. After a pleasant walk home from town in light snow later, I decided it best to look for the glasses with a touch in case it continued to snow overnight. The search was unsuccessful.

So when I got up this morning the first thing I did was go out to the car park and have another look. After a few minutes I found them laying behind my car, relatively intact. There is a deep scratch on one lens (quite annoyingly positioned) and the frames were a little bent but didn’t take too much to straighten out.

There was more intermittent snow falls today and because the snow looks so inviting, I went for a run again (although not quite as long as yesterday). I took my camera and stopped a few times in the forest and took some photos. I think I need to work on the camera settings for snow pictures.

No comments: