Monday, November 3, 2008

Some More On Finnish Food

I picked this up at the super market the other day. It’s marinated Herring. It doesn’t look that great, but it tastes ok. I’m not sure what it’s marinated in, but seems to be almost a sort of balsamic vinaigrette. It’s obviously been in there for a while as it falls apart pretty easily. I’m not sure exactly how it’s suppose to be eaten. I think it would possibly go well in small pieces on dry biscuits, or perhaps even in a sandwich.

The food I’ve been getting at Baltic for lunch is generally quite good, sometimes a little odd and once or twice I’ve not finished. There is always a Soup on offer, and generally a potato based meal and a more meaty dish. Then there is a big basket of Finnish bread and a salad so if I’m really not impressed I still have something that is reliable, even if not that interesting.

Problem is that I have to order what I want at the start of each day, and as my Finnish and Swedish is not very good, this can be difficult. So it’s a bit of a lucky dip sometimes. I have a much better feeling now for what I’m going to get, and at bare minimum can expect to know what sort of animal I’m consuming (although one day I wasn’t sure, and wasn’t pleased). The menu for the week appears on Monday morning, so on Monday morning I usually decide for the whole week. If I’m not happy with my selection of food for the week, I have at least one reliable choice. Every Thursday the same Pea Soup appears, it’s a thick green soup with a variety of split peas and minced beef. It’s quite good although can create some excess gas and may become a regrettable choice latter in the day. The sweat on Thursdays is always Finnish Pancake which is very good, and no unpleasant side effects that I’m aware of.

For this reason I searched the web on Sunday and after finding a number of different recipes I tried to make my own Finnish Pancake. It’s pretty easy to make with a very similarly recipe what I would consider normal. However it is baked not fried and it becomes sort of half way between light fluffy cake and custard. I claimed it successful. It didn’t come out exactly like the Baltic version, but it was pretty close and I think probably mostly due to having to significantly reduce the quantity’s such that I didn’t waste any and also so it would fit in my meagre cooking utensils.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Hang on, you sweat pancakes on Thursday but don't believe the food has unpleasant side effects?

Alan said...

I think it got a bit late when I was writing that post. Well spotted.