Friday, October 3, 2008

In Need Of Colour

I made no plans over the weekend (exciting I know) but after catching up on some sleep and doing some mundane housework on Saturday morning I set out into the day armed with a nice warm jacket, my discman and my camera. I wanted to catch some of the colour that I’ve seen before it all disappears. With the majority of the time here starting to look dark or grey, or both, it may get a little bleak.

Once or twice last week as I was driving to work and the sun was rising, in between the patches of green were some magnificent yellow highlights of everything that was note a pine tree. Unfortunately I haven’t got a photo of it (yet I still have hope). But I did wander around in the small public garden in town and took some photos of a lot of the flowers before they started to wilt (some I was too late for).

To ease myself back into the grey world I walked around in the cemetery for a while (nothing sinister going on), there were a couple of very simple graves, but they were mostly of a similar (middle class I guess) standard. Simple inscriptions, and most featuring at minimum a lamp with some including birds as well. There were a couple of quite impressive family plots, and some war memorials as well. I believe one large plot is remembrance of the civil war in the early 1900’s. Six names all passing within about 6 weeks, the majority over a couple of days, and the inscriptions ‘Freedom’ & ‘Gratitude’. Another I assume is for WWII but I am unsure what the inscription means, perhaps it is one man? I’m not sure but would be interested to find out.

No comments: