Sunday, February 15, 2009

Two Weeks Later

I’ve now been out on the bike a few times. Surprisingly I have not fallen off yet. It’s easier to ride in snow than I was expecting. It is very similar to riding on sand. The deeper the snow the more it slows you down and the trickier it is to stay upright. At one stage I tried to ride through some 200mm deep snow and although I could keep the bike moving it may have been faster to walk. Most of the time the bike paths have been cleared (as have the roads) and the snow is only 50mm deep. My tyre’s seemed to be ok but I may have to invest in some winter tyres for the bike.

Probably the most important thing is to be dressed appropriately and I think I’ve managed to achieve this with some thermals, a light mid layer and some very light weather proof cover. Throw on a pair of gloves and thick socks and I was fine. Although there was a gap between my shoes and the weatherproof pants which meant my ankle got a bit cold. So the only additional bit of kit I need is shoe covers which will extend over the ankles and make my shoes a bit warmer.

Below is the forecast temperatures for this week.

2 comments:

n4rkla said...

YAH WHAT!!!

High of -10 does not compute!!!

Have you built one of the igloos shown in the pic yet?

How on earth do you build epoxy boats in that weather?

Alan said...

No I haven't built an igloo.

They don't do much boat building outside. The whole shed is kept at 20C, except when they are moving stuff in and out when the temp drops a little but not much.