Sunday, February 1, 2009

Back in the Cold

Well after some dramas with getting my bags checked in the flight was as per usual. It was not pleasant to go from business class back into economy. But I kept myself occupied for the flight to Bangkok and managed to get some sleep on the second flight to Helsinki. After landing I had a few hours wait for my flight to Helsinki and I used the time to change into the more appropriate clothing that I had with me and have some breakfast that wasn’t plane food. I also managed to start checking my work emails which there was only about 200 of. I ended up getting back to Baltic just in time for lunch on Wednesday. The boat has progressed well while I’ve been gone. To someone abstract from the project it would not look like much has been done but it’s starting to get into a lot of details and there is always lots of time in them (apart from the keel structure which is still a massive void in the boat).

The change in climate was not as big a shock to the system as I was expecting. It’s been hovering below zero since I’ve been back and is forecast to get colder next week. There is snow on the ground instead of the slush or ice and there is much more light than when I left (a good 7 hours). I had a few drinks on Friday night and watched some movies last night. For everyone who asked me when I stopped, well I guess that counts as now. The only toy I have with me now is my mountain bike which I’m keen to get out and ride in the snow. But I need to get myself a bike pump first, as I left the one I had on the road bike which is now in Sydney.

No comments: